Müller Milk & Ingredients can play a major role in invigorating and revitalising the UK’s fresh milk and dairy ingredients sector, according to Managing Director, Andrew McInnes.
But the new business, which is being created by combining the dairy operations of Müller Wiseman Dairies and Dairy Crest, must integrate with pace to realise its potential, whilst continuing to maintain its focus on serving its customers.
“We have the opportunity to build something special in the UK dairy industry with real benefits for customers, colleagues, farmers and suppliers,” said Andrew McInnes.
“It is important to recognise that the status quo, particularly within the fresh milk sector, was not working and we must therefore identify and make the changes and savings required to build a combined business which is sustainable, successful and vibrant.
“We will listen to our colleagues, customers, farmers and suppliers so that we can validate and refine our plans and estimates based on accurate information. Our commitment is then to communicate the resultant changes and improvements we need to make clearly and in a timely manner.
“Our aim is to become a successful milk and ingredients business as quickly as possible. To do this we will prioritise the delivery of great products and service, building an engaged workforce, putting in place common systems and processes, and achieving higher levels of competitiveness through savings from combining the two businesses.
“We have an excellent workforce and I am confident that we will make real progress in 2016.”
Employees, customers, farmers and suppliers are receiving information directly on the vision and plans for the new organisation, which employs around 10,000 people in 13 dairies and over 70 depots, and processes 25% of Britain’s milk production.
Ends… 04 January, 2016
Issued by Graeme Jack, Group Communications Director, Unternehmensgruppe Theo Müller Tel +44 (0)1355 598585 or +44 (0) 7900 430269.
Note to Editors
Additional press resources can be found on the media section of our website: www.muller.co.uk/media
These include past press releases detailing the history of the acquisition process, and supporting images, logos and documents for download.
Further information is also available on our website at www.muller.co.uk
- Müller announced its intention to acquire the dairy operations of Dairy Crest on 6th November 2014, subject to approval by competition authorities
- The acquisition comprised Dairy Crest’s processing, trading and distribution activities relating to liquid milk, packaged cream, flavoured milk and bulk commodity ingredients
- It included Dairy Crest’s dairy facilities at Severnside, Chadwell Heath, Foston and Hanworth together with around 70 depots, employing around 3,500 people.
- The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) confirmed its approval of the acquisition on 19th October 2015.
- The decision followed agreement by the CMA that Müller would toll process a nominated volume of fresh liquid milk for fresh milk processor Medina Dairy at the Severnside facility to ensure competition for national multiple tenders in the South West, Wales, the South and the Midlands.
- The transaction completed on December 26th, 2015.
- The new Müller Milk & Ingredients business will employ over 8,000 people and process 25% of Britain’s milk production, with 2,000 dairy farmers contracted to supply the business.
Müller UK & Ireland
Müller UK & Ireland is wholly owned by the Unternehmensgruppe Theo Müller. It employs around 10,000 people in a business which comprises two distinct business units: Müller Milk & Ingredients and Müller Yogurt & Desserts.
Based in Market Drayton, Müller Yogurt & Desserts is the UK’s leading yogurt manufacturer, responsible for major brands such as Müller Corner, Müllerlight and Müller Rice. It also produces, at production facilities in Minsterley near Shrewsbury, chilled desserts including Cadbury Bubbles of Joy, Pots of Joy, Layers of Joy and Twin-pot products under licence from Mondelez International.
Müller Yogurt & Desserts also supplies the UK private label yogurt market from a state of the art yogurt facility in Telford, Shropshire.
Müller Milk & Ingredients aims to be the biggest and best fresh milk and ingredients business with a network of dairies and depots servicing customers throughout the country, producing skimmed, semi-skimmed, whole, and flavoured milk products for brands such as Black & White, The One, freshnlo and FRijj . It also has the capacity to produce salted, unsalted and lactic butter each year for both the domestic and international markets.
The acquisition of Dairy Crest’s dairy operations in December 2015 marked a milestone in Unternehmensgruppe Theo Müller’s global growth strategy and in particular its aspiration to place much more emphasis on end to end supply chain innovation, adding value to the UK dairy category.